A basement is a quintessential portion of the home. While it is built into every house, it often becomes the subject of a lot of speculation when deciding what to do with it. There is also another downside to not making proper use of the basement which is the possibility of it becoming a room where all the excess stuff is hoarded.
To avoid such things from happening and to avoid becoming hoarders, it is essential to make proper use of the basement. However, some take a step back as they think this requires a lot of work and effort. On the contrary, remodeling a basement can be a fun job that gives you more living space in your house. You can also hire a basement remodel contractor to complete the job.
There are many design options to take into account whether you want to design a room for hosting guests, a comfortable family room, a home office, or an exercise area. In this article, we will go through some tips for remodeling a basement so it functions as a stylish and useful living area.
Table of Contents
- What to put in basement remodel?
- Basement as a Home Theater
- Basement as Family Room
- Basement as Guest Suite
- Basement as a Home Office
- Basement as Playroom
- Basement as an Exercise Room
- Basement as a Craft Room
- Basement as a Wine Cellar
- Basement as Laundry Room
- Basement as Music Room
- Factors to consider before Basement Remodeling
- Basement remodeling Do’s and Don’ts
What to put in basement remodel?
If you’re considering a basement remodel, you might be wondering what to put in it. The options are endless, but some popular choices include creating a new living space, such as a family room or guest suite, or adding functionality to your home with a laundry room or home office. Some of the most popular ideas for what to put in a basement remodel include the following:
Basement as a Home Theater
Transforming your basement into a home theater is one of the most popular basement remodeling ideas. A home theater provides a cozy and private space for watching movies, sports, or playing video games. You can install a large-screen TV or a projector and screen to give you an authentic theater experience.
Add comfortable seating, soundproofing, and proper lighting to create a comfortable and inviting space. With your home theater, you can even customize every installation to your liking and make something incredible.
Basement as Family Room
A basement can be a great place to create a new family room. Add comfortable seating, a TV, and a game table, and it can become a space where your family can relax, play games, and spend time together. Consult your basement remodel contractor to know what can be done.
Basement as Guest Suite
If you have guests who visit frequently, adding a guest suite in your basement can provide a comfortable and private space for them to stay. You can include a bedroom, bathroom, and sitting area to create a welcoming guest suite.
Basement as a Home Office
With the rise of remote work, a home office is becoming more and more important. Transforming your basement into a home office can provide a quiet and private space to focus on your work. Add a desk, chair, storage, and any other necessary equipment to create a functional workspace.
Basement as Playroom
If you have children, creating a playroom in your basement can be a great way to provide them with a safe and fun space to play. You can include a play area, reading nook, and storage for their toys.
Basement as an Exercise Room
A basement can be a great place to create an exercise room. You can add workout equipment, mirrors, and even a TV to keep you motivated during your workouts. Looking for companies offering this service when you search for basement remodeling near Columbia, MD.
Basement as a Craft Room
A basement can also be a great place to create a craft room. Add shelves, tables, and any other necessary equipment to create a space that is perfect for crafting, sewing, or any other hobby.
Basement as a Wine Cellar
If you’re a wine enthusiast, transforming your basement into a wine cellar can be a great way to showcase your collection. You can install wine racks, a wine cooler, and proper lighting to create a stylish and functional wine cellar.
Basement as Laundry Room
If your laundry room is currently cramped, transforming your basement into a laundry room can provide a more spacious and functional space. You can add extra storage, a folding table, and any other necessary equipment to create a comfortable and efficient laundry room.
Basement as Music Room
If you’re a musician or enjoy playing music, transforming your basement into a music room can be a great way to create a space that is dedicated to your passion. You can install soundproofing, musical instruments, and comfortable seating to create a cozy and inspiring space.
These are just a few ideas for what to put in a basement remodel. The options are endless, so consider your needs and interests and create a space that works for you and your family.
Factors to consider before Basement Remodeling
When it comes to basement remodeling, there are several factors to consider before you begin the project. Taking the time to carefully plan and consider all of these factors can help ensure that your basement remodel is a success. A few of the key factors to keep in mind when taking up this job include:
- Budget – One of the most important factors to consider when planning a basement remodel is your budget. Before you begin the basement remodel Baltimore project, it’s important to determine how much money you are willing to spend. This will help you set realistic expectations for the project and ensure that you don’t overspend.
- Purpose – Another key factor to consider when remodeling your basement is the purpose of the space. Do you want to create a new living space, a home office, or a playroom for your kids? Determining the purpose of the space will help guide your decisions regarding design, layout, and furnishings.
- Layout – The layout of your basement will also play a key role in the success of your remodel. You’ll need to consider the existing layout of the space and determine if any changes need to be made to make the space more functional. This might include adding walls, creating separate rooms, or opening up the space to create a more open floor plan.
- Lighting – Lighting is another important factor to consider when remodeling your basement. Basements are often naturally darker than other parts of the home, so you’ll need to carefully consider your lighting options. You may want to add additional windows, install recessed lighting, or add lamps to create a bright and inviting space.
- Flooring – The flooring in your basement is another important consideration. Since basements are often below ground level, they can be prone to moisture, which can lead to issues like mold and mildew. Consider flooring options that are durable and moisture-resistant, such as vinyl, tile, or concrete.
- Insulation – Insulation is also an important factor to consider when remodeling your basement. Since basements are below ground level, they can be prone to drafts and can be difficult to keep warm. Adding insulation can help keep your basement comfortable and reduce your energy costs.
- Permits – Depending on the scope of your basement remodel, you may need to obtain permits from your local building department. Make sure to check with your local government to determine if any permits are required for your project. Failing to obtain the necessary permits can result in fines or other legal issues. If you hire contractors for basement remodeling near Baltimore, MD, they would take care of all the formalities.
- Plumbing and Electrical – If you plan to add plumbing or electrical fixtures to your basement, you’ll need to carefully consider the layout and design of the space. You may need to add new plumbing lines or electrical wiring to accommodate your needs. Make sure to hire a licensed professional to handle these types of installations to ensure they are done safely and correctly.
- Storage – Finally, storage is another important factor to consider when remodeling your basement. Since basements often have limited natural light, it can be difficult to keep the space clutter-free. Adding storage options such as shelves, cabinets, or built-in storage can help keep your basement organized and functional.
Thus, basement remodeling can be a great way to add space and functionality to your home. By carefully considering factors such as budget, purpose, layout, lighting, flooring, insulation, permits, plumbing, electrical, and storage, you can ensure that your basement remodel is a success. By taking the time to plan and consider all of these factors, you can create a space that is both functional and beautiful.
Basement remodeling Do’s and Don’ts
When it comes to basement remodeling, there are certain things you should and should not do to ensure a successful project. Here are some basement remodeling do’s and don’ts to keep in mind:
Basement remodeling Do’s:
Do plan ahead: Before starting your basement remodeling project, it’s important to plan. This includes setting a budget, determining the purpose of the space, and considering factors such as lighting, layout, and flooring. Taking the time to plan can help ensure a successful project.
Do consider natural light: Basements are often naturally dark, so it’s important to consider natural light sources. This might include adding windows or a skylight or creating an open floor plan that allows light to flow through the space.
Do choose the right flooring: Since basements are below ground level, they can be prone to moisture issues. It’s important to choose the flooring that is durable and moisture-resistant, such as vinyl, tile, or concrete.
Do insulate properly: Since basements can be difficult to keep warm, it’s important to properly insulate the space. This can help reduce energy costs and make the space more comfortable to use.
Do hire a professional: While it’s possible to tackle a basement remodeling project on your own, it’s often best to hire a professional. A professional basement remodel Baltimore service can ensure that the project is done safely and correctly, and can help you avoid common pitfalls and mistakes.
Basement remodeling Don’ts:
Permits are important, so don’t forget about them: Depending on the scope of your basement remodeling project, you may need to obtain permits from your local building department. Failing to obtain the necessary permits can result in fines or other legal issues.
Don’t overlook moisture issues: Basements are often prone to moisture issues such as mold and mildew. It’s important to address any existing moisture issues before starting your remodeling project and to choose moisture-resistant materials.
Don’t ignore lighting: As mentioned, basements can be naturally dark, so it is important to consider lighting options. Failing to adequately light the space can make it feel cramped and uninviting. Today, there are innumerable lighting options available to suit the needs of everyone.
Don’t overlook the importance of storage: Since basements often have limited natural light, it can be difficult to keep the space clutter-free. It’s important to consider storage options such as shelves, cabinets, or built-in storage to keep the space organized and functional. A shelving or organizing system can become extremely useful when handling different types of products.
Don’t cut corners on electrical and plumbing: If you plan to add plumbing or electrical fixtures to your basement, it’s important to hire a licensed professional to handle the installations. Cutting corners on electrical or plumbing work can be dangerous and can lead to issues down the road.
Don’t forget about safety: Safety should always be a top priority when remodeling a basement. This includes ensuring that the space is properly ventilated, that any gas appliances are properly installed and vented, and that any new electrical work is done safely and up to code.
Basement remodeling can be a great way to add space and functionality to your home. By following the above-mentioned basement remodeling do’s and don’ts, factors to consider, and design options, you can ensure a successful project that adds value and functionality to your home.
If you are having trouble figuring out just how to approach this project, we at Harold Howard’s are here to help you out. Our experienced specialists can handle anything from small makeovers to complete remodels with the utmost efficiency. So what are you waiting for, call us today and turn your basement remodeling dreams into a reality.